location: Chemnitz
client: Staatsbetrieb Sächsisches Immobilien- und Baumanagement Chemnitz
area: 0.3 ha
completion: 2011

1/4
back forward back forward back forward back forward

School for the Blind, Chemnitz - playgrounds

At the site of the in 1905 inaugurated former „Royal Saxon educational institution for the blind and feeble-minded“ are today the Saxon School for the Blind and other facilities for the rehabilitation of blind children and adolescents.Close to the reconstructed building 26 a new thematic playground was implemented. Different playing objects deal with the topic „Touch and Listen“. In the triangle of conflicting priorities between content orientation, spatial circumstances and budget different playing objects were developed that offer thematically concise game incentives for blind and visually impaired children.

In the shade of ancient trees a swing, a slide, a trampoline and a climbing frame were set on a sandy ground. The site was chosen that the various playing and sitting options can be used by the school kids from the school for blind and multiple handicapped as well as by the children of the adjacent home buildings.

At the elementary school (building 16) a kickabout area and a little playground was implemented.

project data

location: Chemnitz
client: Staatsbetrieb Sächsisches Immobilien- und Baumanagement Chemnitz
area: 0.3 ha
completion: 2011